3 Days Before The Exam
- If you haven’t already done so, pick up your clear liquids, and your prescription for the bowel prep at your pharmacy.
- Arrange for your ride home after your procedure. A responsible adult/Medical transport MUST drive you home from your procedure. You will not be allowed to drive, take a taxi, car service, or leave the center alone. If you do not have a responsible driver to take you home, your exam cannot be done with sedation and may be canceled.
- Stop any iron supplements, iron, vitamin E and NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, Celebrex, Motrin, Meloxicam, Naproxen).
- Stop your blood thinners as directed: (Aggrenox, Brilinta, Coumadin, Dabigatran, Effient, Eliquis, Endoxaban, Jantoven, Plavix, Pradaxa, Savaysa, Xarelto)
- Do NOT stop aspirin unless otherwise told.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your exam please use the patient portal or call (315) 452-3235 at least 48 hours before your appointment.
- For questions, please send a portal message, call (315) 452-3235, or visit our frequently asked questions.
1 Day Before The Exam
To have a successful colonoscopy your colon must be clear of any stool.
- DO NOT EAT ANY SOLID FOOD THIS ENTIRE DAY.
- Only drink clear liquids this entire day. Clear liquids are: water, clear broth or bouillon, coffee or tea (without milk or creamer), apple juice, white grape juice, white cranberry juice, sport drinks, clear carbonated beverages, Kool-Aid, Jell-O, popsicles.
- No RED or PURPLE liquids, no dairy, no pulp.
EVENING before Procedure:
At 4pm drink the entire first bottle of Clenpiq right from the bottle. Follow this dose by drinking at least five 8 ounce cups of clear liquids using the cup provided over the next four hours.
At 8 pm drink the entire second bottle of Clenpiq. Follow this dose by drinking three 8 ounce cups of clear liquids in the cup provided over the next 5 hours.
SPLIT PREP/ Later Afternoon procedures
At 6 pm drink the entire first bottle of Clenpiq right from the bottle. Follow this dose by drinking at least five 8 ounce cups of clear liquids using the cup provided over the next five hours.
(Diabetics: Do NOT take your evening sugar pill. Long acting insulin- take half dose this evening. Check your blood sugars as needed)
The Day Of The Exam
- Continue Only clear liquids today until 4 hours before your appointment time.
- You may take all of your morning prescription medicines with sips of water.
- Please bring your puffer/inhalers with you.
- (Diabetics: Check your blood sugar this AM. Do NOT take your sugar pills this morning. Keep checking your blood sugars as needed)
SPLIT PREPS/ Later Afternoon Procedures:
6 hours before your appointment time drink the entire second bottle of clenpiq. Follow this by drinking at least three 8 ounce cups of clear liquids in the cup provided over the next 2 hours.
4 hours before your appointment time STOP drinking all liquids
- Things to bring with you: Someone to drive you home, photo ID and insurance card, list of your medications. Please leave all valuables at home.
- You will be here about 2 hours with your driver. You will not be able to drive home.
Parking is located on the North Medical Center side of 5112 West Taft Road Building- Digestive Disease Center of Central New York. Come to ENTRANCE D. (315) 410-7400